Sunday, June 2, 2013

The one where we arrived in Bangkok

Well, I survived my first solo long haul flight with a toddler! My last long haul flight with Avalon was just over a year ago when she was 14 months and she spent the majority of that flight (from Bangkok to Sydney) screeching uncontrollably. Yes, I was the parent of that kid. I didn't enjoy the looks of pity or anger and did not want to go there again. Fortunately, at 2 and a half, Avalon  was old enough to enjoy having her own seat, loved small things like putting her seatbelt on (and having me take it off and repeat x 1000), was happy to watch Hi 5 videos on my phone, draw etc. She didn't even want to run up and down the aisles, something I felt sure she would want to do (don't all toddlers?!).

Navigating around the airports (had to transfer between Domestic and International in Sydney) was fine, despite Qantas not gate checking her pram (WHY Qantas, why?!) as I was able to put Avalon in our Manduca carrier on my front, with my [heavy] backpack on my back and Avalon's small backpack clipped to the strap of my backpack. I looked like a Sherpa, but the arrangement worked well! I still had my hands free and Avalon and the backpack weighed about the same, so I didn't topple over!

Bangkok is small child friendly too, which I LOVE. Special immigration queues so you breeze straight through etc.

The downer of the trip so far though, was that Solomon mixed up his flight departure time/day so when I called his mobile from the baggage claim area (where we were meant to meet), his friend Habte answered and said that Solomon was busy driving right now and would call me back. Driving?! In Ethiopia?! When he was supposed to be in Bangkok airport somewhere waiting for me?! Umm. To say I was overtired and unimpressed would be an understatement. BUT the flight was rebooked for last night and he should be arriving in the next hour or so. We hope.. haha!

In the meantime, Avalon and I have been relaxing at Phranakorn Nornlen Hotel, playing in their small kids room, crawling around like a bear and trumpeting like an Elephant (Avalon, not me), attempting to nap while the hotel workers jackhammer outside the window etc etc. I usually adore this hotel, but it's not impressing me as much this time. Could be the jackhammering, or the fact that it's undergoing construction downstairs and the lovely garden area I loved last time with the fish ponds and sandpit and kids area have been demolished (with no warning on the website, p.s) or that the lovely little touches like gift pack and café vouchers aren't given out anymore. Instead they offer you a choice of one gift pack item, or 2 drinks vouchers. Just small things, really. except the jack hammering, that has got to go!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment